Plastic carrier bags will not be allowed in Kenya
In a move praised by conservation groups and health organisations, Kenya has taken the lead in banning the use of plastic carrier bags and certain other plastic bags. Included in the ban are the following items that travellers might carry:
- Duty free carrier bags
- Bags used when departing USA for liquids and gels in carry-on luggage
- General shopping bags
- Bin liners (sometimes used to protect luggage during rain)
- Dry cleaning bags (commonly wrapped around clothing)
Travellers arriving into Kenya via airports, sea ports or land borders will be required to leave any bags deemed to be on the banned list at the point of entry. Travellers will not be fined so long as they surrender any prohibited bags.
The following options are suitable replacements:
- Paper bags
- Durable "bag for life" bags
- Bags made from cloth, woven grass or sisal
For more information, you may download a summary document by clicking HERE.
For the Kenya government's policy paper on this topic, please click HERE.